Dried Chickpeas (soaked for 12 hours) 100 gms
Cooked Chickpeas 225 gms
Cold water/ice cubes 70 ml
Tahini 35 gms
Garlic 1 clove
Lemon Juice 2 tbsp
Salt ½ tsp
Olive Oil 20 gms
For Hummus Garnish
Olive oil 15 ml
Paprika as required
For Baba Ghanoush
Eggplants (medium) 2 pieces
Onion (small, finely chopped) ¼ piece
Garlic (finely chopped) 1 clove
Red /Green Pepper (finely chopped) 2 tbsp
Lemon juice ¼ cup
Olive oil ¼ cup
Cumin Seeds (toasted &crushed) ½ tsp
Salt as required
Tomatoes (finely chopped) 1 small
Parsley (finely chopped) ¼ bunch
Mint (finely chopped) 2 tbsp
Method for Hummus
1. Wash the soaked chickpeas and simmer in plenty of water for 4 hours until they become soft and tender. The chickpeas can be boiled in a pressure cooker to shorten the cooking time.
2. Blend the chickpeas in the food processor until smooth.
3. Add the cold water/ice cubes in batches until the desired consistency is reached and blend for another minute.
4. Add the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and blend for 2 minutes.
5. Finally add the olive oil and adjust the taste. Hummus must be tangy, rather than salty. The flavor of tahini and garlic must be subtle and not overpowering.
Method for Baba Ghanoush
1. Pierce the eggplants using a fork or the tip of a knife, then roast in the panggangan on very high heat until the skin is charred/ burnt or it can be roasted directly on a gas flame until the skin is burned and the eggplants are cooked. If roasted on a gas flame, the eggplant must be constantly rotated to ensure even cooking.
2. Cool and peel the eggplants. Ensure that the charred black skin particles are completely removed, else they will be visible in the Baba Ghanoush.
3. Place the eggplants in a colander and put them in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
4. Using a knife, cut the eggplants into small pieces, and then adds the onion, garlic, bell peppers, lemon juice, olive oil, season with salt and cumin. Mix using a fork in a mashing movement.
5. Add the tomatoes, parsley and mint.
6. Adjust the seasoning and sourness.
7. Pour the mixture into a serving plate and sprinkle some pomegranate molasses, pomegranate seeds and olive oil on top.
8. This dish is best served chilled.