The term Shawarma is a derivative of the Arabic Lebanese verb Shawa, meaning “he grilled”, which is the culinary process of this dish.
30 minutes | Serves 5 | Easy
1 Kg Beef Meat
3 tbsps Vegetable Oil
4 tbsps Grape Vinegar
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp White Pepper
¼ tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Musk
¼ tsp Nutmeg
1 clove Cardamon
FOR THE DRESSING5 tbsps Tahini Paste
½ tsp Salt
½ cup water
2 cloves Garlic
2 tbsps Lemon Juice
FOR THE TOPPING SALAD2 medium Onion
2 tsps Ground Sumac
½ bunch Fresh Parsley
2 medium Tomatoes
1 PREPARING THE MEAT
– Cut the meat in thin medium-long pieces.
– Mix the oil, vinegar and spices, and pour the mixture over the slices of meat.
– Combine well to ensure all the slices get their good share of this flavoring.
– Marinate for 1 hour.
2 COOKING THE MEAT
– Cook the meat in a deep, non-stick pan on medium heat, mixing well and then cover for 5 minutes.
– Uncover the pan, mix the meat very well and cover it again for 10 minutes or until cooked.
3 PREPARE THE TAHINI DRESSING
– Mix the ingredients by hand or with an electric mixer.
– Add water gradually to the desire consistency.
– Leave it to rest.
– NOTE: For the Tahini Dressing, visit How to Make Tahini Dressing
4 THE TOPPING SALAD
– Rub the onion slices with sumac.
– Add the tomato cubes and the chopped parsley.
– Mix gently and put aside.
5 SERVING OPTION 1: BEEF SHAWARMA PLATE.
– In a serving plate, place the Shawarma meat and side it with the Onion-Sumac (topping) salad. Pour the Tahini sauce in a side bowl. Serve all with Lebanese bread on the side (optional.)
6 SERVING OPTION 2: BEEF SHAWARMA WRAP
– Open a Lebanese Bread in two.
– By layer, add the salad, then the meat and bathe it all with the Tahini dressing.
– Wrap the bread around tightly, and here you have your Shawarma wrap!